What is peridot?
PERIDOT QUICK GUIDE
- China, Vietnam, Tanzania, United States
- Strength, Good Health
- Mood-boosting, Creativity
- 6.5 to 7
What to Look for in Peridot
Peridot is a relatively common gemstone found in hardened lava flows around the world, including in China, Vietnam, Tanzania and the United States. The finest and rarest peridots in the purest green hues come from Myanmar and Pakistan. The August birthstone, peridot is a much-loved gemstone for special jewelry.
Peridot is one of the few green-colored gemstones, and gemstone-quality peridot is rather rare, although the mineral itself is very common throughout the world. When you’re perusing peridot, look for these qualities:
COLORGemstone color is probably the most important aspect of a gem. The most desirable peridot gemstones feature a rich green color with no visible inclusions, while the best value is found in a gemstone with olive tones and minor inclusions that look just as striking. Consider the shape and hue that most appeals to you.
CUTThough it has a smaller color range, peridot also works with a variety of gemstone cuts that showcase its hues in different ways. Popular shapes for peridot include emerald, oval, round, pear, triangle, cushion and marquise. The ideal cut and shape for any gemstone is the one that best displays its color and brilliance. An emerald cut enhances the color of peridot, while round and oval cuts maximize sparkle.
CLARITYGemstone clarity is an important evaluator for many gemstones. Almost every gemstone contains marks known as inclusions, which are liquids, gas bubbles, mineral traces, and other debris found inside stones. Fine peridot is usually "eye clean," meaning that its inclusions are only visible when magnified. Peridot with a few visible inclusions offer the best value, and their unique marks only add to their one-of-a-kind appeal.
SIZE (CARAT)Gemstone size, unlike diamond size, is generally measured in millimeters in diameter. Peridot is available in a variety of sizes. Smaller gemstones are abundant, while larger sizes are rarer.
ENHANCEMENTMost gemstones receive enhancements, such as heat treatment and infusions, to improve their appearance. Our gemstones are enhanced using only approved techniques to bring out the brilliant color and clarity of our peridot jewelry.
Hardness & Wearability
Choosing the Right Peridot Jewelry
Famous Peridot Gemstones
How to Care for Your Peridot Jewelry
- Practicing the proper gemstone care will keep your peridot jewelry gorgeously glimmering for a lifetime. Give it a regular cleaning with warm, soapy water, using a soft brush and a gentle scrubbing motion. Store it in a quality, felt-lined jewelry box to protect it from scratches.
- Over time, your beautiful peridot jewelry may need repair or professional cleaning. We offer free and convenient cleaning and repair services for all of our gemstone pieces.
Learn More About Gemstones
Explore Education by Category
- Amethyst Engagement RingsAquamarine Engagement RingsEmerald Engagement RingsMoonstone Engagement RingsMorganite Engagement RingsOpal Engagement RingsPink Sapphire Engagement RingsRuby Engagement RingsSapphire Engagement RingsTanzanite Engagement RingsTopaz Engagement RingsAll Gemstone Engagement Ring Guides