Top Questions and Answers About Gemstone Jewellery
- If you are looking for coloured gemstone jewellery for everyday wear, you want to pick a gemstone that is steadfast and durable. Diamonds, sapphires, rubies and topaz can be worn every day with little to no worry. More delicate stones like opal, onyx and jade may require a little more caution.
When it comes to durability, all gemstones are ranked on something called the Mohs scale of hardness. A score of 1 means it is soft, whereas a score of 10 is the hardest. Diamonds top the scale with a perfect 10, as they are the hardest product on the planet. Other high-ranking stones include rubies, sapphires and topaz.
Realistically, any stone that ranks lower than 7 is less than ideal for everyday wear, even if you take extra care.
There is no such thing as the "best" gemstone, because it all comes down to your personal preference and the characteristics that are most important to you. If you are judging on colour, there are a whole variety of hues to choose from—and while you might think ruby red reigns supreme, your best friend could have the same affection for emerald.
If you are judging on durability, there are some gemstones that are more durable than others. A lot of the time, this distinction is reflected in the price point. More affordable semi-precious gemstone jewellery is just as beautiful as its precious counterparts—they just have different levels of wearability.
- Precious metals such as silver, platinum and gold are the most popular options for gemstone pieces. These metals offer a secure and stunning backdrop for gemstone jewellery. Each gemstone will have its own hue and visual qualities that influence its best match in terms of settings and metals. For example, the cool hue of blue sapphires and diamonds is often best matched with white gold, platinum or even silver. Many yellow and rose gold jewels feature gems such as amethyst and morganite. The best combination is one that protects the gemstone and enhances its beauty.
- Many gemstones are linked to symbolism and deep meanings. This symbolism often dates back centuries, with each gem bringing unique meaning to wearers. Some gems are also associated with birth months along the calendar, these birthstones are featured in some of the most popular types of gemstone jewellery.
- Highly symbolic and uniquely beautiful, gemstone jewellery is the perfect gift for any occasion.
- Jewellery with gemstones varies in price, with options for virtually any budget. The price of gemstone jewellery will vary depending on the value of the gem, the metal used in the jewellery and the complexity of the design.
Explore Gemstone Jewellery By Category
- Amethyst JewelleryAquamarine JewelleryBlack Onyx JewelleryBlue Topaz JewelleryCitrine JewelleryGarnet JewelleryLondon Blue Topaz JewelleryMorganite JewelleryOpal JewelleryPeridot JewelleryPink Sapphire JewelleryQuartz JewelleryRuby JewellerySapphire JewelleryTanzanite JewelleryTourmaline JewelleryTurquoise Jewellery