Freshwater Pearl Guide
What Are Freshwater Pearls?
What Sets Freshwater Pearls Apart?
What to Look for in a Freshwater Pearl
SizeFreshwater pearls range from small to moderately sized, usually falling between 3 mm and 12 mm. Larger pearls are typically more expensive and are measured by size rather than weight to ensure a fair price. While larger pearls command a higher price, any size looks captivating when set in the right piece of jewellery.
ColourCoveted for their stunning range of soft colours, you’ll find freshwater pearls in an array of colours. Cultivated mollusks create these colours naturally, delivering shimmering pearls with intense body colour. Pearls with rich colours typically command a higher price, as they are somewhat rarer than white and cream.
ShapeWhile perfectly round pearls are the most valuable, freshwater pearls are popular for their range of off-round and oval shapes. These unique designs make freshwater pearls a popular choice for accent pieces like pendants and earrings, while more expensive round freshwater pearls make beautiful pearl strands.
Known for their satiny lustre, freshwater pearls give a softer glow than their saltwater counterparts. Look for a clean surface with no scrapes or markings to find the best value.
We offer a wide selection of freshwater pearls to suit every price point. While certain styles like large, round pearls may be the most valuable, deciding which styles, shapes and colours you’ll wear in your favourite jewellery is purely a matter of taste.
Shop Popular Freshwater Pearl Jewellery
- Freshwater Cultured Pearl and White Topaz Drop Earrings
- Freshwater Cultured Pearl and White Topaz Halo Pendant
- Vintage-Inspired Freshwater Cultured Pearl and White Topaz Earrings
- Freshwater Cultured Pearl Pendant
- Freshwater Cultured Pearl and White Topaz Hoop Earrings
- Freshwater Cultured Pearl Twisted Teardrop Earrings
- Freshwater Cultured Pearl Earrings
- Freshwater Cultured Pearl and White Topaz Halo Earrings
How to Choose Freshwater Pearl Jewellery
Determine Your BudgetIf affordability is key for you, freshwater pearls are a great option, since they’re generally less expensive—but no less gorgeous—than other pearl types.
Shop by StyleThere’s no one-size-fits-all for pearls. Finding the right size, shape and colour depends on the jewellery style. Round, matching pearls work best for strands, while baroque and off-round shapes make a charming statement as drop earrings and pendants.
Find a Retailer You TrustYou should always feel confident knowing you’ll love your jewellery purchase. We make it easy with free 30-day returns, so you can always upgrade if you find a colour or size you love even more.
How to Care for Freshwater Pearls
- Keep your jewels looking like new for generations by properly caring for your pearls.
- When you’re getting ready, put your pearls on last, since they can be damaged by body and hair care products.
- Wipe your pearls with a soft cloth after you wear them.
- Store them flat in a soft cloth bag to prevent scratches.
Learn More About Pearls
Explore Education by Category
- Amethyst Engagement RingsAquamarine Engagement RingsEmerald Engagement RingsMoonstone Engagement RingsMorganite Engagement RingsOpal Engagement RingsPink Sapphire Engagement RingsRuby Engagement RingsSapphire Engagement RingsTanzanite Engagement RingsTopaz Engagement RingsAll Gemstone Engagement Ring Guides