Tahitian Pearl Guide
What Are Tahitian Pearls?
What Sets Tahitian Pearls Apart?
What to Look for in Tahitian Pearls
SizeCultured pearls are sold by size rather than weight to ensure you always get fair value. Ranging from 8 mm to 18 mm, Tahitian pearls are among the largest pearl varieties.
Tahitian pearls are known for their dark grey body-colour, but they come in the full spectrum of shades, from white to black. Two aspects create the rich look of Tahitian pearls: body colour and overtones.
Body colour describes the main colour of the pearl. Tahitian pearls are best known for the signature charcoal body, but can also range from white to brown.
Overtones are the softer colours that shimmer over the body of a pearl—think of an oil slick on water. Overtones can lend green, pink, orange and silvery hues to your pearl jewellery. Their signature colour once made Tahitian pearls the rarest of any pearl type—and led to plenty of copycats. With the discovery of pearl cultivation, authentic Tahitian pearls are now affordable to a much wider market.
Beware of any non-Tahitian pearls that claim to be black. These have been chemically dyed, which weakens the nacre and shortens their lifespan.
ShapePerfectly round pearls command the highest price, but they’re not the only choice for a statement look. Tahitian pearls make baroque and circle shapes stand out when their grooves catch the light and their subtle overtones shimmer.
LustreLustre is created when light reflects back through the layers of nacre that form the pearl, creating that signature glow. For an easy way to assess lustre, check for your reflection in the surface of the pearl.
Shop Popular Tahitian Pearl Jewellery
How to Choose Tahitian Pearl Jewellery
Determine Your BudgetDecide how much you will budget for your pearl jewellery. By deciding ahead of time how much you want to spend, you’ll be more likely to stay within your budget.
Shop by StyleEnjoy browsing different styles of jewellery, from necklaces and earrings to bracelets and cuff links. Consider the metal type for the setting based on what you think looks best with the pearl or what you like best. Decide whether you’re going to go big and bold or small and subtle.
Find a Retailer You TrustThere’s nothing wrong with changing your mind! If you’ve purchased our pearl jewellery and discovered a colour or style you love even more, we make it easy with 30-day free returns, no questions asked. You can always feel confident knowing you’ll always find something you love.
How to Care for Tahitian Pearls
- With the proper care, your pearls will last for generations.
- Put your pearls on last, and take them off first.
- Store your pearl jewellery in a flat box away from other pieces to avoid any scrapes and scratches.
- For more information about caring for your pearls, read our helpful guide on gemstone and pearl care.
- Learn more about our exceptional customer service and free returns so you can confidently choose Tahitian pearl jewellery that you’ll love for years to come.
Learn More About Pearls
Explore Education by Category
- Amethyst Engagement RingsAquamarine Engagement RingsEmerald Engagement RingsMoonstone Engagement RingsMorganite Engagement RingsOpal Engagement RingsPink Sapphire Engagement RingsRuby Engagement RingsSapphire Engagement RingsTanzanite Engagement RingsTopaz Engagement RingsAll Gemstone Engagement Ring Guides