Gemstones and Their Meanings
Good Luck Gemstones
Gemstones to Attract Money
Gemstones to Attract Love
Gemstones that Boost Creativity
Shop Popular Gemstone Jewelry
- Multi Gemstone Eternity Necklace
- Multi Gemstone Tennis Bracelet
- 3-Stone Elongated Cushion Cut Garnet and Purple Rhodolite Ring
- Aquamarine Rope Stud Earrings
- Oval Emerald and Diamond Sunburst Halo Ring 14k
- London Blue Topaz Rope Pendant
- London Blue Topaz Cushion Earrings
- Oval Ruby and Diamond Sunburst Halo Ring
Zodiac Gemstones: What Gemstones Say About You
Zodiac stones or astral stones, correspond to the energies of the constellations and planets that rule over that sign.
They are tied to astrology with the concept that certain stones will amplify the energies and effects of the constellations and planets on a particular person, based on the placement of the celestial bodies at the time they were born.
Gemstones, Crystals and Their Meanings in History
While many gemstones have modern meanings, ancient cultures also attributed special symbolism and strength to specific gems and crystals. Ancient Greeks, Romans and Egyptians all believed specific gems could provide unique powers for a wide range of needs.
Many gems and crystals were considered to be amulets of protection, good luck or even direct treatments for specific ailments. Many societies in the Middle Ages would prescribe specific gems, such as rubies, emeralds or citrine to treat conditions such as bleeding, eye problems or jaundice. They believed that the colors and unique properties of gemstones and crystals were connected to healing properties.
Today’s Gemstone Meanings & Symbolism
Crystal healing is a common thread for cultures throughout the world, from ancient societies to modern day. Today, gemstones are most commonly revered for their beauty and symbolism. Many are also associated with zodiac signs or birth months. Crystals and gemstones with special meanings are valued in their various states including clusters, geodes, slices and expertly-finished high polished presentations in gemstone jewelry.
Common Zodiac Stones by Sign
Gemstone Meanings FAQ
- Romantic gemstones and crystals are believed to help their wearers attract love. Rubies are a popular precious gemstone with close ties to love. Amethyst, garnet, rose quartz and moonstone are also gemstones and crystals that are regarded as love stones.
- Ancient Sumerians in Mesopotamia over 6,000 years ago used gemstones to facilitate healing and the special healing properties have carried over to modern-day gemstone symbolism. Healing gemstones and crystals include amethyst, moonstone, obsidian, citrine and quartz varieties.
- In many cultures, gemstones including black onyx and turquoise are believed to bring strength to their wearers.
- Calming gemstones include sapphire and amethyst. For calming crystals chose selenite, black tourmaline or tiger’s eye.
- Many people believe that wearing a gemstone or crystal will bring its symbolism and properties to the wearer. This makes jewelry an especially popular option for enjoying meaningful gemstones.
Explore Education by Category
- Amethyst Engagement RingsAquamarine Engagement RingsEmerald Engagement RingsMoonstone Engagement RingsMorganite Engagement RingsOpal Engagement RingsPink Sapphire Engagement RingsRuby Engagement RingsSapphire Engagement RingsTanzanite Engagement RingsTopaz Engagement RingsAll Gemstone Engagement Ring Guides