With its bold crimson glow, garnet—the January birthstone—shimmers with fire and warmth. Though best known for its red colour, garnet comes in a breathtaking kaleidoscope of colours, including fiery oranges and yellows, mysterious purple tones, and even vivid green. As diverse as these radiant hues, we offer an array of options to help you find a stellar January birthstone gift for your special someone.
A Treasured Symbol of Life
Garnet, derived from the Latin name, Granatus, is named for the stone’s aesthetic likeness to pomegranate seeds. In fact, Victorian garnet jewelry—with its distinctive design accented by settings of multiple stones—echoes the seed clusters of this fruit.
Garnet's Birthstone History
Records of garnets used as birthstones date back to the 15th century, but you can trace the garnet’s storied beginnings back further to Ancient Egypt. Pharaohs adorned themselves in necklaces studded with glistening garnets. Soon, other regions embraced the garnet. Ancient Romans believed that signet rings featuring garnet intaglios bestowed authority upon their wearers who used them to stamp wax on valuable documents.
The Jewel of Love and Faith
Known as the “Gem of Faith,” the majestic garnet gemstone is associated with prosperity, health, and peace. A symbol of love and commitment, it is the stone that celebrates a second wedding anniversary. In Indian astrology, garnet wards off depression and guilt, fostering self-confidence and clear-headedness to inspire creativity and inner tranquility. According to medieval legend, the garnet is the antidote for inflammatory diseases, also helping to appease hot tempers.
Shop Popular Garnet Jewellery
- 3-Stone Elongated Cushion Cut Garnet and Purple Rhodolite Ring
- Petite Oval Multicolour Gemstone Bracelet
- Garnet and White Sapphire Halo Oval Pendant
- Multicolour Gemstone Hoop Earrings
- Petite Garnet Oval Bracelet
- Heart-Shaped Garnet and Diamond Pendant
- Multicolour Round Rope Bracelet
- Multi Gemstone Bolo Bracelet
Gifting Inspiration for the January Birthstone
If you wish to celebrate someone special—or even yourself!—with exquisite garnet jewellery, we offer stunning options for January birthstone gifts. Here are some ideas to spark your imagination and choose a piece of jewellery that will take their breath away.
For Your Significant Other
Set your love ablaze with a garnet engagement ring—the stone of love and faith makes an elegant alternative to a traditional diamond engagement ring. A fiery, garnet gemstone, either in a solitaire style on a delicate precious metal band, or framed by brilliant pavé round-set diamonds, will show the world who owns your heart.
For A Birthday
A gorgeous accent to any outfit, a pendant necklace customized with the January birthstone will stunningly elevate anyone’s look and become a new favourite in their jewellery collection. In round, oval, or heart shapes, a garnet pendant necklace serves as a beautiful token of your affection.
Gifts for Mom
For Mother’s Day, show your mom how much you cherish her with radiant garnet earrings. In a shape reminiscent of a flower, cushion-cut, trillion, or micro pavé, garnet floral stud earrings add a lovely touch of elegance to her style.
To Mark a Milestone
Commemorate a cherished person’s special achievement with an iconic piece of garnet jewellery. For your children or nieces and nephews, a garnet bracelet in a round rope or oval design, set in sparking sterling silver or as a stately garnet signet ring, make a gorgeous graduation present.
Keep Your Garnet Jewellery Looking Beautiful for a Lifetime
- With a hardness ranging from 6.5 to 7.5 on the Mohs scale, garnets are durable enough for everyday wear, but should be treated
- To keep your garnet jewellery gleaming for years to come, use a soft cloth to gently polish the stones to release any dust, dirt, or grime.
- To clean your garnet jewellery, use mild soap and water, and take a soft toothbrush to carefully scrub the setting.
- Thoroughly rinse your garnet jewellery and then pat dry with a clean, dry cloth.
- Periodically, check all of your jewellery for weakened strings, loose settings and stone or metal damage.
- We are happy to offer complimentary cleaning and repair services with your purchase. Learn more about how to care for gemstone jewellery in our guide.
Learn More About Gemstones
You can’t go wrong with the elegance of garnet jewelry—one of the many stunning gems that we offer. Learn about other gemstones and their jewellery options in our gemstone guide.
Explore Education by Category
- Amethyst Engagement RingsAquamarine Engagement RingsEmerald Engagement RingsMoonstone Engagement RingsMorganite Engagement RingsOpal Engagement RingsPink Sapphire Engagement RingsRuby Engagement RingsSapphire Engagement RingsTanzanite Engagement RingsTopaz Engagement RingsAll Gemstone Engagement Ring Guides
Only at Blue Nile
When it comes to celebrations we strive to make your experience as brilliant as our jewellery with the perfect pieces for every occasion.
Visit a Showroom
Meet our personal jewellers, explore bestselling styles, pick up an online order, arrange to preview something from our online collection and so much more.
Schedule an Appointment
Book a fun and interactive appointment with a diamond expert and get up-close views of diamond and jewellery options from the comfort of your own home.
The highest-quality design at a great price.
Peace of Mind
30-day returns, diamond price-match guarantee and more.
The original online jeweller since 1999.
The perfect pieces for every occasion.