A Gem Beloved by Generations
Pearl's Birthstone History
Pearl is the birthstone for June, though there have been other June birthstones over the years. Additional gems with birthstone ties to June have included moonstone and alexandrite, but pearl is the most popular June birthstone.
Pearls have a rich history with ties to ancient civilizations worldwide. While once an exclusively natural creation, pearls are now also cultivated in both freshwater and saltwater settings. Cultured pearls are just as lustrous and enchanting as their natural counterparts. When searching for pearl birthstone jewellery, cultured pearls are the most abundant choice.
In 1912, the National Association of Jewellers chose pearl, along with moonstone, as the modern June birthstone. A favourite of blushing brides, timeless pearl elevates June weddings or special occasions any other month of the year.
June Birthstone Symbolism
Pearl’s Connections to June
Astrological signs of Gemini and June birthday Cancers both lay claim to the pearl as their gemstone. A pearl’s symbolism of wisdom, honesty and even its connections to the moon often link it to the astrological signs with which it's associated. As one of the warmer months of the year in many parts of the world, June also represents the tranquil waters in which this gem grows.
As the Gemini birthstone, pearls can be especially symbolic. The very formation of pearls can represent the dual-sided qualities of Geminis, with two shells coming together to form one pearl.
June Birthstone Colours
Shop Popular Pearl Jewellery
- Double Freshwater Cultured Pearl Stud Earring
- Freshwater Cultured Pearl Bolo Bracelet
- Freshwater Cultured Pearl and White Topaz Hexagon Halo Pendant
- Freshwater Cultured Pearl and White Topaz Drop Earrings
- Freshwater Cultured Pearl and White Topaz Pendant
- Vintage-Inspired Freshwater Cultured Pearl and White Topaz Drop Earrings
- Freshwater Cultured Pearl and White Topaz Drop Hoop Earrings
- Vintage-Inspired Freshwater Cultured Pearl and White Topaz Halo Earrings
Gifting Inspiration for the June Birthstone
Enchant the Person You Love
Celebrate a Special Birthday
Gifts for Mom
Gifts to Mark a Milestone
Keep Your Pearl Jewellery Looking Beautiful for a Lifetime
- Help your pearl jewellery retain its luxurious shine by practicing simple gemstone care.
- Pearls should always be put on last, after body care products like hair spray and perfume, and wiped with a soft cloth after wear.
- Keep your pearl jewellery in a soft jewellery box to protect against scratches, and store pearl necklaces flat in a cloth bag to prevent the string from stretching.
- Every once in a while, be sure to clean your pearls with mild soap and water. Avoid submerging strings of pearls and be sure to wipe all pearl jewellery dry with a soft cloth after cleaning.
- We also offer free cleaning and repair services to ensure that you can continue wearing your favourite pearl birthstone jewellery pieces for many years to come.
June Birthstone Buying Tips
- 1Choose styles with hand-selected pearls. No two pearls are exactly the same, so well-made pearl jewellery will have hand-selected gems that have been chosen for their similar or complementary styles.
- 2Purchase from jewellers you can trust to ensure you’re buying authentic pearls. Real pearls will typically have a lustre to them and are initially cold to the touch if they haven’t been worn in some time.
- 3Choose the pearl colour that’s best for your budget. Classic freshwater pearls in white, cream or off-white are popular and affordable choices. For an eye-catching style, consider South Sea or Akoya pearls.
Learn More About Gemstones
Explore Education by Category
- Amethyst Engagement RingsAquamarine Engagement RingsEmerald Engagement RingsMoonstone Engagement RingsMorganite Engagement RingsOpal Engagement RingsPink Sapphire Engagement RingsRuby Engagement RingsSapphire Engagement RingsTanzanite Engagement RingsTopaz Engagement RingsAll Gemstone Engagement Ring Guides