One of the world's oldest known gems, the pearl, is also the birthstone for June. Natural pearls are rare gifts from oceans, seas, lakes and rivers, while equally beautiful cultured pearls are grown with the help of human intervention. Either variety comes in a diversity of colours, including white, cream, pink and green. Pearls offer many excellent options for birthstone jewellery, from heirloom-quality strand necklaces to sophisticated stud earrings.
A Gem Beloved by Generations
Pearls captured the imaginations of many ancient cultures. In China, pearls were said to come from dragons, while in the Middle East, they were seen as teardrops from heaven. Ancient Indian texts also said that pearls bestowed prosperity and long life. Over the centuries, pearls have been worn by royalty, beloved by fashion icons and passed down through generations.
Pearl's Birthstone History
Traditionally, June's birthstones included agate, turquoise and cat's eye. In 1912, the National Association of Jewellers chose pearl, along with moonstone, as the modern birthstone. A favourite of blushing brides, timeless pearl elevates June weddings or special occasions any other month of the year.
An Enduring Symbol of Purity
Every birthstone is connected to different birthstone symbolism and meaning. Pearls are the most commonly associated gemstones to purity and innocence due to their round shape, lustrous exterior and typical white colour. They are also seen as a symbol of humility, trust, modesty and chastity.
Shop Popular Pearl Jewellery
- Tahitian Cultured Pearl Infinity Pendant
- Freshwater Cultured Pearl Stud Earrings
- Freshwater Cultured Pearl Bracelet
- Premier Akoya Cultured Pearl Stud Earrings
- Freshwater Cultured Pearl Bracelet
- Multicoloured Freshwater Cultured Pearl Strand Necklace
- Tahitian Cultured Pearl Infinity Earrings
- Freshwater Cultured Pearl Earrings
Gifting Inspiration for the June Birthstone
Pearls are an elegant gift for commemorating important occasions. Our selection of pearl birthstone jewellery includes rings, bracelets, necklaces and earrings so that you can easily find the perfect present for every event.
Enchant the Person You Love
The romantic symbolism of the pearl makes it a wonderful gemstone for an engagement ring. Pearls may be set with prongs and accented by diamonds for a stunning combination of lustre and sparkle. Alternatively, a prongless mount showcases the irridescent beauty of a solitaire pearl.
Celebrate a Special Birthday
Pearls are an opulent birthday present befitting a special birthday, such as an 18th, 21st, 30th or decades beyond. Celebrate the occasion with a sophisticated pearl bracelet in a traditional white or cream colour, or choose an eye-catching and modern multicolored piece.
Gifts for Mom
A classic pearl strand necklace that features hand-selected pearls and a gold or silver clasp makes a thoughtful gift for Mother's Day. Another exquisite option is one of our pearl pendant necklaces, which can be paired with glittering diamond or white topaz accents.
Gifts to Mark a Milestone
The timelessness of pearls makes them a prominent choice for marking life's many milestones, like graduating, getting married or having a baby. Commemorate these and other significant occasions with a charming pair of pearl earrings in a stud, hoop or drop design.
Keep Your Pearl Jewellery Looking Beautiful for a Lifetime
- Help your pearl jewellery retain its luxurious shine by practicing simple gemstone care.
- Pearls should always be put on last, after body care products like hair spray and perfume, and wiped with a soft cloth after wear.
- Keep your pearl jewellery in a soft jewellery box to protect against scratches, and store pearl necklaces flat in a cloth bag to prevent the string from stretching.
- Every once in a while, be sure to clean your pearls with mild soap and water.
- We also offer free cleaning and repair services to ensure that you can continue wearing your favourite pearl birthstone jewellery pieces for many years to come.
Learn More About Gemstones
Beautiful pearls are just one of the many types of gemstones that we offer in our jewellery collection. Learn about other gemstones and their gorgeous jewellery styles in our gemstone guide.
Explore Education by Category
- Amethyst Engagement RingsAquamarine Engagement RingsEmerald Engagement RingsMoonstone Engagement RingsMorganite Engagement RingsOpal Engagement RingsPink Sapphire Engagement RingsRuby Engagement RingsSapphire Engagement RingsTanzanite Engagement RingsTopaz Engagement RingsAll Gemstone Engagement Ring Guides
Only at Blue Nile
When it comes to celebrations we strive to make your experience as brilliant as our jewellery with the perfect pieces for every occasion.
Visit a Showroom
Meet our personal jewellers, explore bestselling styles, pick up an online order, arrange to preview something from our online collection and so much more.
Schedule an Appointment
Book a fun and interactive appointment with a diamond expert and get up-close views of diamond and jewellery options from the comfort of your own home.
The highest-quality design at a great price.
Peace of Mind
30-day returns, diamond price-match guarantee and more.
The original online jeweller since 1999.
The perfect pieces for every occasion.