Set apart by its soothing shades and charming sparkle, blue topaz is a beloved gem that serves as the birthstone for December. Though topaz comes in a range of colors, blue is its signature color and is most often used in gemstone jewelry. Associated with wisdom, abundance and love, this December birthstone is perfect in all types of jewelry.
The Stone of Strength
Topaz has been worn by cultures around the world since ancient times, each giving it a unique gemstone meaning. The Greeks believed that it endowed the wearer with strength, while in India, topaz was used to help assure long life. During the Renaissance, topaz was also believed to have magical properties and the ability to break spells.
- Blue Topaz's Birthstone History
- A Symbol of Power and Positivity
- Historic December Birthstones
- December’s Birthstone Color
- When did Blue Topaz Become December’s Stone?
- The Blue Topaz Birthstone Connection
- December Birthstone Meaning
- Shop Popular Blue Topaz Jewelry
- Gifting Inspiration for the December Birthstone
- Keep Your Blue Topaz Jewelry Looking Beautiful for a Lifetime
- Blue Topaz Birthstone Buying Tips
Blue Topaz's Birthstone History
Traditionally, the birthstones for December were opaque gems like lapis lazuli and turquoise. In modern times, a shift to transparent gems made blue topaz an exquisite alternative. Tanzanite was also added to the December birthstone list in 2002.
A Symbol of Power and Positivity
An energetically powerful stone, blue topaz helps alleviate sadness, dispel anger and promote healing. Wearing your blue topaz birthstone is also thought to increase inner strength, cultivate the intellect and enhance creativity. The birthstone symbolism of this marvelously blue stone represents love, beauty and wisdom as well.
Historic December Birthstones
While blue topaz is the most popular December birthstone, there have been some other gemstones associated with this winter month over the years. Turquoise, tanzanite and even zircon have been associated as birthstones for December. While some people still seek out tanzanite jewelry or turquoise jewelry as December birthstone pieces, blue topaz is the most commonly purchased birthstone for this month.
December’s Birthstone Color
Over the years, there have been multiple December birthstones to represent this icy month. Turquoise, tanzanite and blue topaz have been signature birthstones for December. All of these gems share blue colors that match the cold month. Blue topaz is the most popular December birthstone, with a range of cool colors from soft azure to deep blue.
More specifically, blue topaz comes in three colors: London topaz, Swiss topaz and sky blue topaz. Each shade brings its own characteristics and style.
When did Blue Topaz Become December’s Stone?
Blue topaz’s status as the birthstone for December was cemented in 2002 when it was added to the month’s official roster of gems. Since then, it has been the most widely sought-after gemstone in December birthstone jewelry.
The Blue Topaz Birthstone Connection
Embodying the strongest range of hues in the signature December birthstone color, blue topaz is the perfect gemstone for the last month of the calendar year. Its namesake colors make the blue topaz birthstone a perfect fit for December, with its cool hues matching the winter weather experienced in many climates.
December Birthstone Meaning
With ties to wisdom, calming of nerves and inner strength, blue topaz is a gemstone that is believed to bring good luck to people born in December. It is often believed to represent love, making the perfect gift for any occasion.
Shop Popular Blue Topaz Jewelry
Gifting Inspiration for the December Birthstone
Blue topaz is a gorgeous birthstone gift and a stunning choice for marking many of life's meaningful moments. Our selection of blue topaz rings, necklaces, bracelets and earrings offers something for anyone in your life.
Dazzle the One You Love
The captivating color and shine of this gemstone make a magical choice as a blue topaz engagement ring. Enchant your significant other with a radiant blue stone enhanced by a shimmering halo of diamonds. Blue topaz also pairs wonderfully with other colored gemstones like peridot or aquamarine.
Celebrate a December Birthday
A blue topaz necklace is one of the best ways to display this brilliant gemstone. If someone you know and love has a December birthday coming up, treat them with an eye-catching pendant necklace that showcases their birthstone in their favorite blue hue.
Gifts for Mom
Another excellent gift choice for mom's birthday or Mother's Day is a blue topaz bracelet. Our timeless bracelets are available in an array of hues, from subtle sky blue to deep and vivid ocean shades. Choose from a variety of styles and cuts to fit your mom’s personality.
Gifts for Special Milestones
Gemstone earrings are a thoughtful gift for important milestones like graduations, promotions, weddings and special anniversaries. From simple and elegant studs to bright and bold hoops, you can find blue topaz earrings to mark any significant occasion.
Keep Your Blue Topaz Jewelry Looking Beautiful for a Lifetime
- Proper gemstone care will help your blue topaz jewelry keep its enchanting gleam for years and years to come.
- For regular cleaning, simply dip your jewelry in warm, soapy water and give it a gentle scrub using a soft-bristled toothbrush.
- Ensure that your beautiful blue topaz pieces last for generations by taking advantage of our free cleaning and repair services.
- Your jewelry will be expertly refreshed, restored and ready to wear again in no time.
Blue Topaz Birthstone Buying Tips
If you’re looking to purchase December’s gemstone jewelry, explore our buying tips to choose the perfect piece:
- 1Pick a color in your budget. Lighter shades in this December birthstone color, such as sky blue topaz, will often command a smaller price tag than London blue topaz.
- 2Aim for metals that complement the gemstone. The birthstone shade you choose will determine which metals are its best fit. Sky blue and Swizz topaz both sparkle in light metals such as silver, platinum or white gold. The deeper shades of London blue topaz can also sit in yellow or rose gold.
- 3Check for inclusions. Many birthstones are enhanced through expert processes to improve their color and long-term stability. A quality blue topaz may show no inclusions due to these enhancing processes.
Be sure to purchase your December gemstone pieces from jewelers you can trust! A reputable jewelry store will only sell authentic blue topaz birthstone jewelry.
Learn More About Gemstones
Blue topaz makes meaningful birthstone jewelry for personal adornment or a gift for someone special. Learn about more gemstones to find other types of birthstone and gemstone jewelry you'll love.
Explore Education by Category
- Amethyst Engagement RingsAquamarine Engagement RingsEmerald Engagement RingsMoonstone Engagement RingsMorganite Engagement RingsOpal Engagement RingsPink Sapphire Engagement RingsRuby Engagement RingsSapphire Engagement RingsTanzanite Engagement RingsTopaz Engagement RingsAll Gemstone Engagement Ring Guides
Only at Blue Nile
When it comes to celebrations we strive to make your experience as brilliant as our jewelry with the perfect pieces for every occasion.
Visit a Showroom
Meet our personal jewelers, explore bestselling styles, pick up an online order, arrange to preview something from our online collection and so much more.
Schedule an Appointment
Book a fun and interactive appointment with a diamond expert and get up-close views of diamond and jewelry options from the comfort of your own home.
The highest-quality design at a great price.
Peace of Mind
30-day returns, diamond price-match guarantee and more.
The original online jeweler since 1999.
The perfect pieces for every occasion.